As the leaves change their colors from green to red and gold, the magical season of fall sweeps in to win our hearts over with its enchanting spell. Hence, date nights are bound to get a little bit more exciting when paired with the intoxicatingly crisp autumn breeze.
For the busy couples, having a date night may mean grabbing reservations at the local restaurant, getting a babysitter for the kids, and getting all dressed up just to have dinner at a fancy place. This fall season, however, you and your spouse can still make date night fun and exciting without having to break the bank.
First, why go out when you can simply stay at home and enjoy the autumn season right from your abode. If on weekdays you go out for work, why not spend your days off at home with your spouse and be recharged for another hectic week ahead?
Here are a couple of fall-inspired date night ideas you can do with your spouse at home:
- The Great Outdoors. Enjoy the season’s most prominent symbol, those auburn and golden leaves, as they slowly fall from the branches. Of course, this would mean that you both would end up spending the day raking the leaves off the lawn and tending to the yard. But it would still count as a date if you do it together and, most importantly, if you both have fun while finishing the task. Run around, dive into piles, and play with the leaves – work hard and play hard, as they say.
- Thanksgiving Prep Date. Yes, it has finally become an official thing. Preparations for Thanksgiving can go on and on for weeks and even months, as it is one of the most awaited feasts for Americans every single year. Make the yearly chore into a date as you both get to spend the day prepping up for Thanksgiving dinner. If you plan on having guests over, take this opportunity to decorate the house and start planning the menu.
- S’mores Station. Cap off a long autumn day with delicious, scrumptious s’mores. Experiment on a new s’mores recipe or even have a bake off to see who is the best s’mores maker. If you both have a lot of time and a lot of ingredients, why not make additional batches for your neighbors and friends? Just make sure the date night itinerary includes kitchen clean up as well!
For date nights to be memorable and fun, you don’t really have to spend a ton of money. Free dates are perfect for couples who love to spend time outdoors without breaking the bank. Here are a couple of our recommendations:
- Thermos Picnic. Get a digital detox and head on to the nearest park for an afternoon thermos picnic. Don’t forget to pack some yummy pumpkin soup and a thermos full of hot cocoa so you can stay in your cozy spot for the rest of the day. Also, be sure to bring extras in case you bump into someone you know or if you want to share your treats with the neighboring picnic-goers.
- Cycling through the Foliage. Before winter freezes up the paths and roads, enjoy the great outdoors on a bicycle and see the local sceneries transform. Go biking together and explore the other side of the city or visit the farmer’s market or the weekend flea market. You both get to enjoy the sights and be in shape at the same time, your post-Thanksgiving dinner selves will thank you for this later.
- Volunteer Date. If you both aren’t on the cutesy date side, doing volunteer work might be more suited as the holidays are just around the corner. Sign up at the local soup kitchen or help out in the local school Thanksgiving production. No matter where you volunteer, you and your spouse will both end up having such a memorable date knowing that you have spent quality time together while helping others at the same time.
Spend some time about town for your fall season date night, rekindle your love for your spouse as well as your love for your town. You might like spending your date in one of these:
- Cheer for the Hometown. Enough of watching games from screens, why not head out to the local field and cheer for the home team. It’s like high school over again but this time you can drink beer and munch on all the popcorn you would want.
- Day Out in the Hay. Do it up old-fashioned and go on a hay ride. You’ll both enjoy being able to spend the day out under sun while also getting down and dirty on the farm. While you are there, feast on the freshest produce and get to live the simple life even just for a day.
- Apples for the Apple of Your Eye. Head out to the farms and go apple picking, take advantage of the plentiful harvest that the fall season brings. From caramel-dipped apple to apple cider, there are tons of scrumptious delights that you can make out of nutritious apples. Take it a level higher and make your own apple pie together, from scratch. Share it with your friends or take it to the Thanksgiving dinner, you’ll both be so proud of being able to make such a heavenly pie the “farm-to-table” way.
And a Bonus Date!
- Pay It Forward Date. As you hang out in your favorite spots around town, keep an eye out for anyone who might be needing any kind of assistance or help. Agree to do random acts of kindness for the rest of the night – pay for the coffee of the guy lining up behind you at the cafe register, order an extra meal to go for that homeless guy in the parking lot, or buy flowers and leave them at the local hospital ward. Be spontaneous, be thoughtful, and be kind – spread your love for each other to the community around you.